How can I help my doctor assess my eczema?

Before you see a doctor about your eczema there are a few steps you can take to make both your lives easier. Start by keeping a detailed written account of your symptoms. When did they appear and how long did they last? It's also important to provide your doctor with accurate medical records. What types of medications, vitamins or other supplements are you taking? How often do you take them and how much do you take? The answers to all of these questions may help your doctor in assessing the situation. Also, prepare a list of questions you have ahead of time and don't be embarrassed to ask anything. The more you know the better equipped you'll be to manage your eczema.

You can help your dermatologist assess your eczema by providing him or her with your medical history. Accurately describe the circumstances under which you first noticed you had a rash and when it started. This can help your dermatologist determine the cause. Keeping a journal logging your eczema flare-ups and any factors that seem to trigger them can also help.

Continue Learning about Eczema

Help Keep Your Child's Pediatric Eczema Under Control
Minimizing exposure to common triggers is an important part of managing pediatric eczema. In this video, Tanya Altmann, MD, shares tips that can help ...
What is eczema?
Dr. Michael T. Murray, NDDr. Michael T. Murray, ND
Eczema is an allergic disorder of the skin, although the underlying allergy is often difficult to de...
6 Ways to Prevent Eczema Flare-Ups This Winter
6 Ways to Prevent Eczema Flare-Ups This Winter6 Ways to Prevent Eczema Flare-Ups This Winter6 Ways to Prevent Eczema Flare-Ups This Winter6 Ways to Prevent Eczema Flare-Ups This Winter
Temperature changes can make eczema worse. Here's how to avoid breakouts.
A Virtual Journey: Eczema
A Virtual Journey: Eczema