What is the difference between psoriasis and eczema?

Psoriasis and eczema might look similar, but they are different skin conditions. To learn more about psoriasis and eczema, watch this video by Dr. Oz.

Psoriasis is an autoimmune condition where your skin cells think they are being harmed and turn over (die off) too quickly. Eczema is also an autoimmune condition. However, it follows a different pathway in the body. Eczema causes the skin to become very sensitive, red and sore.  
Psoriasis and eczema are similar in that both are skin conditions that can be red and itchy, are genetic and can negatively effect your quality of life. Some of the treatments, such as creams or light therapy, are also similar. Systemic treatments may be different, with more treatment options available for psoriasis. The pathogenesis (what happens in your body) of the diseases are also different. But both can be managed well to improve the patients' condition.

Continue Learning about Eczema

Treatments and Remedies for Itch-Free Eczema Relief
Itchy and Scratchy debuted on The Simpsons in the fourth episode of the first season in 1990. Known for their gratuitous violence, they are two of the...
How can I help my doctor assess my eczema?
Before you see a doctor about your eczema there are a few steps you can take to make both your lives...
6 Ways to Prevent Eczema Flare-Ups This Winter
6 Ways to Prevent Eczema Flare-Ups This Winter6 Ways to Prevent Eczema Flare-Ups This Winter6 Ways to Prevent Eczema Flare-Ups This Winter6 Ways to Prevent Eczema Flare-Ups This Winter
Temperature changes can make eczema worse. Here's how to avoid breakouts.
What Is the Difference Between Psoriasis and Eczema?