What are the treatment options for Ebola?

Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Emergency Medicine
While there are some experimental treatments for Ebola, there is currently no known cure for Ebola. In this video, I will explain that supportive care is what can help Ebola patients survive.
Unfortunately, there is no cure for Ebola. Doctor will provide people with supportive care, such as fluids to help prevent dehydration, and blood transfusions. Treatment for Ebola is aimed at helping relieve a person's symptoms and improving their chances of survival. Some experimental treatments--such as the medication ZMapp and transfusions of blood plasma from people who have survived the illness--have shown promise, but haven't yet been proven safe and effective. 

Continue Learning about Ebola

Ebola: 8 Must-Know Facts
Ebola: 8 Must-Know Facts
As an ER physician at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta, I’ve received many questions about Ebola. I know that many people have concerns, so I want...
When is a person who has Ebola contagious?
A person infected with Ebola is not contagious until symptoms appear. Symptoms can appear anywhere f...
Ebola Explained in 5 Clicks
Ebola Explained in 5 ClicksEbola Explained in 5 ClicksEbola Explained in 5 ClicksEbola Explained in 5 Clicks
What you need to know now about the Ebola virus.
Does ZMapp Work as a Treatment for Ebola?