What is my risk of contracting Ebola?

Ebola poses little risk to travelers or to people who have not cared for or been in close contact with someone sick with Ebola.

Healthcare providers, family, and friends in close contact with people sick with Ebola are at the highest risk of getting sick because they may come in contact with infected blood or body fluids. Ebola also can be spread through direct contact with objects (like clothes, bedding, needles, syringes/sharps or medical equipment) that have been contaminated with infected body fluids. People can also become sick with Ebola after coming in contact with infected wildlife. For example, in Africa, Ebola may spread as a result of handling bushmeat (wild animals hunted for food) and contact with infected bats.

It is also possible that Ebola could be spread through sex or other contact with semen from men who have survived Ebola. Until more information is known, avoid contact with semen from a man who has had Ebola.

Continue Learning about Ebola

Ebola Timeline
Ebola TimelineEbola TimelineEbola TimelineEbola Timeline
See when and where the Ebola virus has struck over the years. As just about everyone knows, Ebola is all over the news these days. But you may not kno...
How Ebola Spreads
How Ebola SpreadsHow Ebola SpreadsHow Ebola SpreadsHow Ebola Spreads
Learn the truth about your risk of getting the deadly virus. Nearly 40 years after Ebola was first discovered in Africa, there is still no vaccine for...
How Can I Protect Myself Against Ebola?
How Can I Protect Myself Against Ebola?
How is the Ebola Virus Different From Other Common Viruses?