What causes Ebola?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Ebola fever is caused by a family of 5 closely related viruses. Experts believe that outbreaks of the illness begin when people come into contact with infected animals. Ebola then spreads from person to person through blood, organs or bodily fluids of infected people, or via surfaces and materials (e.g. bedding, clothing) contaminated with these fluids. To get the infection, a person must come into direct contact with the virus--that is, the virus must touch the person's broken skin or mucous membranes.

Continue Learning about Ebola

What is the Most Important Thing to Know about an Ebola Outbreak?
How Can I Protect Myself Against Ebola?
How Can I Protect Myself Against Ebola?
How is the Ebola Virus Different From Other Common Viruses?
Does ZMapp Work as a Treatment for Ebola?