What should I do if I think I have Ebola?

Unless you have been in contact with a person sick with Ebola in West Africa, it is very unlikely that you have Ebola. If you believe you have symptoms of Ebola, get medical care right away. Do NOT go out in public until you talk to a public health worker. Do what your public health worker told you to do if you got sick. If you are not able to speak with someone right away, call your state or local health department, CDC (1-800-232-4636), or 911 if it is a medical emergency and tell them you were in a country with Ebola.

The presence of the CDC logo and CDC content on this page should not be construed to imply endorsement by the US Government of any commercial products or services, or to replace the advice of a medical professional. The mark “CDC” is licensed under authority of the PHS.
Ebola can be a deadly virus. Early symptoms of Ebola may include weakness, nausea, diarrhea, fever, and muscle aches. You should talk to your doctor if you show symptoms and have recently been to a country where Ebola outbreaks have occurred or believe you may have been in contact with a person who is infected. Your doctor can diagnose you and provide treatment if you have Ebola.

Continue Learning about Ebola

Ebola

Ebola

Ebola virus disease is a severe, often fatal illness in humans. It is caused by a family of viruses that originate in central and west Africa. The disease is rare and occurs in sporadic outbreaks. Ebola is spread through direct co...

ntact with the bodily fluids of infected individuals or objects, such as needles or bedsheets, that have been contaminated with the virus. Your risk of contracting Ebola is very low unless you visit an area where it is widespread. There are no approved treatments for the disease, but some experimental treatments have shown promise. Vaccines are currently under development.