Should I worry about getting Ebola?

J.Lucy Boyd
Epidemiology
If you live in the United States and don't travel out of the country, you don't need to worry about getting Ebola at this time. It is easy to become worried when watching media reports, but very few people in this country have been exposed to the virus and can actually spread the disease. Statistically, the possibility of contracting it is extremely low.
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Emergency Medicine
People should be cautious about Ebola and vigilant about looking for symptoms, but not afraid. In this video, I will explain the risk factors for Ebola.

Continue Learning about Ebola

Ebola

Ebola

Ebola virus disease is a severe, often fatal illness in humans. It is caused by a family of viruses that originate in central and west Africa. The disease is rare and occurs in sporadic outbreaks. Ebola is spread through direct co...

ntact with the bodily fluids of infected individuals or objects, such as needles or bedsheets, that have been contaminated with the virus. Your risk of contracting Ebola is very low unless you visit an area where it is widespread. There are no approved treatments for the disease, but some experimental treatments have shown promise. Vaccines are currently under development.