How common is Ebola?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Since Ebola was first recognized in 1976, the disease has been rare and occurred in sporadic outbreaks in west and central Africa. However, the 2014 outbreak has involved more cases and deaths than all other outbreaks combined. Historically, the only cases of human-to-human transmission have happened in Africa, or involved healthcare workers who treated infected persons who traveled from Africa. In addition, a few laboratory workers have become infected after accidents handling the virus. Unless you are in a place where there has been a recent outbreak or are caring for someone with Ebola, your chances of contracting Ebola are extremely low.

Continue Learning about Ebola

How is the Ebola Virus Different From Other Common Viruses?
What is Ebola?
What is Ebola?
What is the Most Important Thing to Know about an Ebola Outbreak?
How Can I Protect Myself Against Ebola?
How Can I Protect Myself Against Ebola?