Do animals carry the Ebola virus?

The natural reservoir host of Ebola remains unknown. However, on the basis of available evidence and the nature of similar viruses, researchers believe that the virus is animal-borne with bats being the most likely reservoir. Four of the five subtypes occur in an animal host native to Africa. Ebola is not spread, in general, by food. However, in Africa, Ebola may be spread as a result of handling bushmeat (wild animals hunted for food) and contact with infected bats. There is no evidence that mosquitoes or other insects can transmit Ebola virus. Only a few species of mammals (for example, humans, bats, monkeys and apes) have shown the ability to become infected with and spread Ebola virus.

Continue Learning about Ebola

Ebola Explained in 5 Clicks
Ebola Explained in 5 ClicksEbola Explained in 5 ClicksEbola Explained in 5 ClicksEbola Explained in 5 Clicks
What you need to know now about the Ebola virus. Ebola is a virus generally found on the African continent that normally lives in animals unaffected b...
Should I Worry About Getting Ebola?
Should I Worry About Getting Ebola?
Is There a Cure for Ebola?
Is There a Cure for Ebola?
Why Do We Need Specialized Facilities to Treat Ebola?