Do animals carry the Ebola virus?

The natural reservoir host of Ebola remains unknown. However, on the basis of available evidence and the nature of similar viruses, researchers believe that the virus is animal-borne with bats being the most likely reservoir. Four of the five subtypes occur in an animal host native to Africa. Ebola is not spread, in general, by food. However, in Africa, Ebola may be spread as a result of handling bushmeat (wild animals hunted for food) and contact with infected bats. There is no evidence that mosquitoes or other insects can transmit Ebola virus. Only a few species of mammals (for example, humans, bats, monkeys and apes) have shown the ability to become infected with and spread Ebola virus.

Continue Learning about Ebola

Ebola: CDC Guidelines for Healthcare Workers
In October 2014, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued revised guidelines for the protective equipment to be worn by healthcare ...
What should I do if I think I have Ebola?
Unless you have been in contact with a person sick with Ebola in West Africa, it is very unlikely th...
How Ebola Spreads
How Ebola SpreadsHow Ebola SpreadsHow Ebola SpreadsHow Ebola Spreads
Learn the truth about your risk of getting the deadly virus.
Oz Explains Ebola
Oz Explains Ebola