Are dogs and cats at risk of becoming sick with Ebola?

The ongoing Ebola epidemic in West Africa has raised several questions about how the disease affects the animal population, and in particular, the risk to household pets. While the information available suggests that the Ebola virus may be found in several kinds of animals, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the US Department of Agriculture and the American Veterinary Medical Association do not believe that pets are at significant risk for Ebola infection in the United States.

The risk to pets is very low since they would have to come into contact with blood or other body fluids of a person with Ebola. Even in areas in Africa where Ebola is present, there have been no reports of dogs and cats becoming sick with Ebola. There is limited evidence that dogs become infected with Ebola virus, but there is no evidence that they develop disease.

Continue Learning about Ebola

How is the Ebola Virus Different From Other Common Viruses?
Is There a Cure for Ebola?
Is There a Cure for Ebola?
Does ZMapp Work as a Treatment for Ebola?
Should I Worry About Getting Ebola?
Should I Worry About Getting Ebola?