Why do I want to eat when I'm not hungry?

Tori  Holthaus, MS, RD
"Hunger" is what happens when you're truly stomach-hungry -- when you physiologically need food -- and it's different than "appetite," which is what happens when you're more "mind-hungry."  We've all experienced signs of hunger - your belly growls, you may become light headed, or even shaky and dizzy. And we've all experienced appetite, too. It's a normal brain signal our bodies give us after smelling fresh cookies out of the oven, hearing someone say the words cherry pie, or the desire to eat more of the bag of x, y, or z even after your stomach is satisfied.

In situations where appetite is a key factor, consider the N.O.W. technique: Do you need the food to physiologically provide energy and nutrition or do you simply want the food? If it's a want, let your "want" become a "wait."  Drink a glass of water, take a walk, read a book, call a friend.  Wait to eat until it's your stomach telling you it's time to eat instead of your appetite!

If you've ever blamed your bones for your weight -- "I'm just big-boned" -- you may be onto something. In this video, Dr. Oz explains how your bones can signal you to keep eating, even when you're full.

Laura Katleman-Prue
If you notice an urge to eat something when you're not hungry, you're probably involved in a story -- something negative that the mind is telling you about yourself, life, others, or something you're doing. At those moments, you're arguing with reality, resisting the way life is showing up. Some examples of typical stories you may be running prior to an urge to attack the cookie jar are:
  • I'm bored.
  • I don't want to do this project.
  • I screwed things up again.
  • I don't want to make this phone call that I'm supposed to make.
  • I hate filing.
  • I can't face the piles of work on my desk.
  • Time to balance my checkbook again.
Skinny Thinking: Five Revolutionary Steps to Permanently Heal Your Relationship With Food, Weight, and Your Body

READY TO END YOUR FOOD and WEIGHT WORRIES? If so, Skinny Thinking is for you. The only way to create a healthy relationship with food and stop battling with your weight is to change the way you think...

Continue Learning about Eating Habits and Nutrition

A Foolproof Way to Promote Healthier Choices
When the Philadelphia 76ers cruised to a 130-103 victory over the Miami Heat in game one of their best-of-seven playoff series this year, and the Clev...
How can meal replacements help me achieve long-term weight control?
Kat Barefield, MS, RDKat Barefield, MS, RD
Meal replacements have been shown to be extremely effective for weight loss, and in almost all cases...
How can I use sensory adaptation to eat healthy?
Brooke RandolphBrooke Randolph
Sensory adaptation is the tendency for sensory receptors to have decreasing responsiveness to st...
How Do You Ecourage People to Take Responsibility for Their Health and Diet Decisions?