Why should I pay attention to how I am eating?

Natalie Castro-Romero, MS, RD
When you pay attention to how much you are eating, you tend to eat less. Activities like watching TV and reading take your focus off how much you are eating and your sense of fullness. Stop eating when you sense that you are full or you pause to "take a break" from your meal -- no matter how much food is left on your plate. Eat slower and drink water with a meal. It takes 20 minutes for the message that you are full to get from your stomach to your brain, so meals should take at least 20 minutes, preferably longer. Chew each mouthful thoroughly. If you eat food that isn't on your plan, don't get down on yourself. Immediately get back on your plan rather than waiting for tomorrow or New Year's to start again.

Continue Learning about Eating Habits and Nutrition

2 Keys to Eating Better
2 Keys to Eating Better
Getting more goodness into your meals could be as easy as these two steps: Plan ahead, and eat at the dinner table. If you’re like many people, you h...
How can I eat healthy during a business trip?
Manuel VillacortaManuel Villacorta
Business travel can be one of the toughest situations for eating properly because you're moving quic...
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
Do you clean your plate, pick the wrong sides and skimp on treats?
Can a Poor Diet Slow Down My Metabolism?