Why should I eat several small meals per day if I want to be healthy?

Dr. Andrea Pennington, MD
Integrative Medicine
It's important to eat small portions, or mini-meals, several times throughout the day with healthy snacks in between to prevent hunger binges and to restore your stomach to its intended size.

Remember when Mom told you to clean your plate because of the starving kids in India? Well, she created "Pavlovian" conditioning without knowing it. Many people would rather die than scrape food into the garbage. It's going to take you some time to work at putting less food on your plate and eating until you're satisfied. Often when we overeat we find ourselves feeling sleepy. Well stuffing yourself causes much of the body's machinery to temporarily shutdown in order to focus on the task of digestion. Eating several small meals throughout the day, or grazing, is better for your body.

Continue Learning about Eating Habits and Nutrition