Why should I eat several small meals per day if I want to be healthy?

Dr. Andrea Pennington, MD
Integrative Medicine
It's important to eat small portions, or mini-meals, several times throughout the day with healthy snacks in between to prevent hunger binges and to restore your stomach to its intended size.

Remember when Mom told you to clean your plate because of the starving kids in India? Well, she created "Pavlovian" conditioning without knowing it. Many people would rather die than scrape food into the garbage. It's going to take you some time to work at putting less food on your plate and eating until you're satisfied. Often when we overeat we find ourselves feeling sleepy. Well stuffing yourself causes much of the body's machinery to temporarily shutdown in order to focus on the task of digestion. Eating several small meals throughout the day, or grazing, is better for your body.

Continue Learning about Eating Habits and Nutrition

Simple Ways to Eat Healthy When You’re Busy
The Mars-exploring spacecraft InSight made a 300 million-mile journey that was artfully guided by scientists at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Lab in Pasadena,...
What's wrong with America's eating habits?
Janis Jibrin, MS, RDJanis Jibrin, MS, RD
It can be difficult to find healthy options at the grocery store. In this video. I will explain how ...
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
Do you clean your plate, pick the wrong sides and skimp on treats?
How Can I Overcome My Salt Craving?
How Can I Overcome My Salt Craving?