Why should I avoid eating junk food?

Kynthia James
Critical Care Nursing
Junk foods consist of foods with little to no nutriitional value. These foods are typically high in fats, sugars, and calories and are basically empty calories. When planning your nutritional menu it is important to include foods from all categories such as whole grains, fruits, vegetables, meat,and milk. Fats and sugars should be consumed in moderation.
Judy Caplan

Junk food is true to its name! There are often lots of calories from fat and sugar with little nutrient content. Junk food is low in fiber and often full of refined ingredients. Junk food as a diet staple will not promote optimal growth and development. Some junk food is fine as long as you are eating other health promoting foods.

Wendy Batts
Fitness
Besides contributing what we call “empty calories” (calories without much nutritional value behind them) to your intake, junk food also does less to satisfy you. When it comes to managing your weight, managing hunger is a key priority. Junk food is often full of salt, sugar, fat and calories, and lighter on protein and fiber. It’s often the perfect combination of salt, fat and sugar that makes junk food taste so good; while protein and fiber can however go a long way in creating a sense of fullness from a healthy snack or meal. Junk foods are temporarily satisfying and encourage your body to work for more of them. This leads to more cravings for these types of foods and an increase in the calories you consume, and therefore an adverse affect on your waistline.

It’s important to be sure you don’t feel deprived and allow yourself a treat now and then but junk food should not be a regular part of your week. It can ultimately lead to weight gain because they don’t serve to control hunger relative to their healthier counterparts.

Continue Learning about Eating Habits and Nutrition

how do i make sure to eat breakfast ?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
For you and your children, every excuse or barrier to eating a nutritious breakfast has a soluti...
what should i eat and drink to stay warm during winter ?
Eating well-balanced meals will help you stay warmer during winter weather. Do not drink alcoholic o...
what should i do if I have overeaten ?
If you've made a mistake and gorged on a tub's worth of food, make your body work in your favor. Sta...
how can i give up my favorite bad foods to improve my diet and health ?
Janis Jibrin, MS, RDJanis Jibrin, MS, RD
Eliminating certain foods will only make people want them more.  In this video, I will explain how w...