What’s the ideal way to snack?

You should think of snacks as “small bridges” between meals. Snacks should weigh in at about 100-150 calories. If you are eating three well-balanced meals daily, then one or two snacks will help you to avoid an energy slump.
Marisa Moore
The ideal way to snack is only when you need it -- not simply out of habit. Enjoying a snack is a great way to fuel a workout or help you get from lunch to dinner without stopping for fast food or hitting the vending machine.
  • Plan ahead. Pack snacks for those days when you will be away from food for more than 4 hours.
  • Use snack time as a way to bridge the nutrient gaps in your day. It's a great time to fit in fruit, cheese, nuts and other nutrient rich options.
  • Aim for 150-200 calories per snack.
  • For the most filling and energizing snacks, choose those that combine protein and carbohydrate.
Ms. Ashley Koff, RD
The key to healthy snacking is to balance your nutrients so that your blood sugar levels stay steady all day. Find out how by watching my video.
Toby Smithson

Timing of snacks is important as you want to consume snacks to help fill long gaps of time when you aren’t able to consume your next meal but not take place of a healthy meal or take away from being too full from a snack that you can’t eat your meal. Think of a snack as a mini meal and snack only when needed. Snacks should be rich in nutrients such as vegetables; whole grains like reduced fat popped popcorn or whole grain crackers; Nuts and seeds (but watch your serving size since there is a high fat content in nuts and seeds and calories add up quickly); or low fat/fat free dairy like fat reduced cheese sticks or low fat Greek yogurt.

Continue Learning about Eating Habits and Nutrition

Simple Ways to Eat Healthy When You’re Busy
The Mars-exploring spacecraft InSight made a 300 million-mile journey that was artfully guided by scientists at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Lab in Pasadena,...
What role do habits play in weight gain?
Habits are the protagonists in everyone’s weight gain (or weight loss) story. Your habits determine ...
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
Do you clean your plate, pick the wrong sides and skimp on treats?
Why Should I Eat Breakfast?
Why Should I Eat Breakfast?