What is another way of measuring serving sizes?

Toby Smithson
You can use your hand or objects as a tool to measure portion sizes. The palm of your hand is = to a 3 ounce meat portion, 1 fist = 1 cup serving, 1 hand cupped = ½ cup portion.

Using objects can help you visualize correct portion sizes too. Some examples are: 6 regular ice cubes = 1 cup of vegetables, 6 dice = 1.5 ounce cheese; 1 tennis ball = 1 cup of vegetables, fruit or milk; a deck of playing cards = 3 ounces of meat, fish or poultry; 1 large egg = ½ cup of raisins.

Continue Learning about Eating Habits and Nutrition

2 Keys to Eating Better
2 Keys to Eating Better
Getting more goodness into your meals could be as easy as these two steps: Plan ahead, and eat at the dinner table. If you’re like many people, you h...
What should I do if I have no time for breakfast?
HealthCorpsHealthCorps
While most of us have busy mornings with little spare time, it is important to prioritize and make t...
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
Do you clean your plate, pick the wrong sides and skimp on treats?
Best Food Combination to Lower Cholesterol