What are moderate servings of healthy foods?

Manuel Villacorta
Below are some of the top foods that are healthy, but still can't be eaten in unlimited quantities while trying to lose weight:
  • Brown Rice: Nutritionally speaking, brown rice is better than white -- it has more fiber and it's a whole grain, but that doesn't mean you get to eat more of it. Once you learn that the proper serving size is a half cup, you must recognize that the measurement applies to all kinds of rice.
  • Olive Oil: Olive oil is another ingredient people allow themselves in ample quantities because they know it is a healthy fat. However, one teaspoon is the proper serving size, not liberal pours from the bottle.
  • Avocado: Here again, people understand that this is a healthy food choice, but it is still a fat. The proper serving size for an avocado is about one-eighth of the fruit.
  • Almonds: Nuts make a great snack, but you can't just eat them by the handful. The proper serving size is approximately six nuts.
  • Salmon: I am a big advocate of salmon, and I recommend all of my clients eat it at least once a week for the omega-3s. However, salmon is not as lean as other types of proteins, so it's something you should learn to eat in the proper portion sizes.
  • 100% Fruit Juices: Juices are packed with antioxidants, but a serving size is only a mere four fluid ounces not twenty-four ounces.
Eating Free: The Carb-Friendly Way to Lose Inches, Embrace Your Hunger, and Keep Weight Off for Good

Eating Free reveals why the prevailing wisdom on weight loss--low-calorie, no carbs, high-intensity exercise--sharply clashes with the facts of human biology and human nature, setting dieters up for...

Continue Learning about Eating Habits and Nutrition