What are some healthy alternatives to junk food if I want to lose weight?

Laura Katleman-Prue
In transitioning from junk foods to healthier foods, it's helpful to identify a few foods that you don't have an addictive relationship with that you consider treats. Find foods that you don't want to keep eating and eating once you start. If, at any point, you discover that you can't stop eating them, eliminate them -- that is, if you want to be free of the addictive relationship.

When I want something a bit more interesting than protein, grains, and fruits and vegetables, I eat: low-fat, baked blue corn chips; small amounts of cheese; brownies that I make using bananas and carob instead of sugar and chocolate; popcorn; toasted whole-wheat pita pockets; peanut butter; raw almonds; frozen fruit (grapes, dark sweet cherries, oranges, bananas); dried, unsweetened apples or pears; or muesli that I make myself. I can eat these foods in moderation because they don't make me feel out of control.

How do you know whether you can have just a little bit of a treat food? If you can set a rule for yourself about it and stick to it, then it's a treat food you can moderate.
Skinny Thinking: Five Revolutionary Steps to Permanently Heal Your Relationship With Food, Weight, and Your Body

READY TO END YOUR FOOD and WEIGHT WORRIES? If so, Skinny Thinking is for you. The only way to create a healthy relationship with food and stop battling with your weight is to change the way you think...
Instead of junk food, stock a variety of healthy snacks like these:
  • Baby carrots
  • A glass of soymilk or low-fat cow's milk
  • A hardboiled egg
  • Cut-up vegetables
  • An apple, orange, or banana
  • A small handful of raisins, nuts, or berries
  • A few healthy crackers
  • Small bowl of whole-grain cereal with low-fat milk
  • Low-fat, low-sugar yogurt
  • Applesauce
  • Popsicles made from 100% juice
  • A slice of whole-grain bread

Continue Learning about Eating Habits and Nutrition

How to Eliminate Ultra-Processed Foods From Your Diet
When digital TV arrived in the 1990s, broadcasters embraced ultra-high frequency transmission for cable and the airwaves—revolutionizing the way we re...
What is pleasure food?
Laura Katleman-PrueLaura Katleman-Prue
Pleasure food is any tantalizing edible that sets your heart atwitter. It's the stuff you fantas...
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
Do you clean your plate, pick the wrong sides and skimp on treats?
What Is a Healthy Holiday Eggnog Recipe?