Should I eat snacks?

Keri Gans
A snack is an opportunity to continue fueling your body properly and to prevent you from making a disastrous food choice at lunchtime or dinner. I usually recommend that my patients include one snack between breakfast and lunch and one snack between lunch and dinner.
The Small Change Diet: 10 Steps to a Thinner, Healthier You

THE ONLY “DIET” PLAN YOU WILL EVER NEED! No deprivation, no struggles. Just ten small changes that will transform your life. Keri Gans, spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association, shares...
Toby Smithson
Snacks can be part of a healthy eating plan if chosen correctly both in type of snack and portion size of snack. Snacking offers a great time to get more of the needed vitamins, minerals or nutrients you may have missed at meal time. For children and teens that are physically active, snacks may provide a supplement to their meals in order to get the calories and nutrition needed to build healthy bodies. For adults, a snack can provide an energy boost.
Jessica Crandall

Yes, you should get in the habit of eating a mid-morning and mid-afternoon snack to help maintain a stable blood sugar between meals. Try to limit snacks to 100-200 calories depending on your daily caloric needs. It is important to eats snacks that include both protein and complex carbohydrates. Some examples include:

• apple and raw almonds
  • 1/2 banana and peanut butter
  • whole grain crackers and reduced fat cheese
  • grapes and low fat cottage cheese
  • blueberries, plain Greek yogurt and sliced almonds 
  • small whole wheat tortilla and almond butter
Tony Horton
Fitness

Snacking is an important part of any diet. In this video, fitness expert Tony Horton, creator of the P90X fitness program, tells viewers how to snack the right way.

Judy Caplan
Whether or not you eat snacks depends on your weight and hunger level. Sometimes snacking is a great way to prevent extreme hunger which can lead to overeating. Snacking on the right foods can help keep your blood sugar stable and your metabolism high. Snacking is also a great way to work in nutrients you might otherwise not ingest. Whole grain crackers, low fat cheese, fresh fruits and vegetables, and lean protein and raw seeds and nuts all make great snacks. It is crucial to snack on the right foods because snacking on the wrong foods can actually lead to sugar cravings which in turn can lead to overeating. It always important to consider the calories taken in when snacking so you do not exceed your daily caloric needs.

Continue Learning about Eating Habits and Nutrition

Eat Here to Eat Less
Eat Here to Eat Less
When it comes to losing weight, it's not just about what you eat. It's also about where you eat. And nutrition experts think that if you chow down in...
Why do I want to eat when I'm not hungry?
Tori  Holthaus, MS, RDTori Holthaus, MS, RD
"Hunger" is what happens when you're truly stomach-hungry -- when you physiologically need food -- a...
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
Do you clean your plate, pick the wrong sides and skimp on treats?
How Does Taste Impact Our Metabolic Process?