What is the suggested serving size of fish, poultry, beef, pork, or lamb?

Dr. David L. Katz, MD, MPH
Preventive Medicine
Fish can be eaten three to four times per week. One to two meals per week of beef, chicken, turkey, pork or lamb is acceptable. Each serving should be 3 oz cooked (about the size of a deck of cards).
Toby Smithson

The protein foods are measured in 1 ounce servings and the exact number of servings recommended for you is based on your caloric needs. A 1 ounce serving of protein foods is equal to 1 ounce of lean beef, poultry, pork, lamb or fish. There are three important tips when we are talking about protein foods:

• Correct portion size makes a difference in your total caloric intake.
  • Choose lean cuts of protein foods such as round, tenderloin and flank.
  • Prepare your protein food using a low fat cooking method.

Continue Learning about Eating Habits and Nutrition

Fast Fasting and Slowing Down Disease
Fast Fasting and Slowing Down Disease
Can you match the following authors, Benjamin Franklin, Plutarch (an ancient Greek moralist) and Paracelsus (one of the fathers of Western medicine), ...
How can I tell if I am hungry?
Wendy Batts Wendy Batts
There are many people who eat just for the sake of eating. During emotional times in our lives, food...
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
Do you clean your plate, pick the wrong sides and skimp on treats?
How Can I Make Changes In My Eating Patterns?