How can I tell if I'm eating the right serving sizes of food?

The American Diabetes Association recommends the following analogy as a way of measuring one serving of a certain food:
  • A 1/2-cup serving of canned fruit, vegetables, or potatoes looks like half a tennis ball.
  • Three ounces of meat, fish, or chicken is about the size of a deck of playing cards or the palm of your hand.
  • A 1-ounce serving of cheese is about the size of your thumb.
  • A 1-cup serving of milk, yogurt, or fresh greens is about the size of your fist.
  • One teaspoon of oil is about the size of your thumb tip.

Continue Learning about Eating Habits and Nutrition

Are You a Captive Black Rhino?
Are You a Captive Black Rhino?
You may already know that the rhinoceros is being illegally hunted to near extinction. (A single horn can go for over $250,000 on the black market.) W...
How can I tell if I am hungry?
Wendy Batts Wendy Batts
There are many people who eat just for the sake of eating. During emotional times in our lives, food...
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
Do you clean your plate, pick the wrong sides and skimp on treats?
How Can I Choose Convenience Foods That Are Healthy?