Is there healthy mall food?

Eating at a food court in a mall does not need to be a diet or healthy lifestyle disaster. Here are some reasonable options for an occasional meal on the go:
• If you order a large salad, make sure it has a source of lean protein, and always take dressing on the side.
• If ordering a sandwich, ask for whole-grain bread, and get the sandwich open-face. Ask for extra vegetables for bulk to fill you up.
• Avoid creamy sauces on pasta and other foods.
• Look for a vegetarian or vegetable soup.
• A thin-crust vegetable pizza is a good choice to share with a salad on the side.
• Low-fat or fat-free yogurt with fruit and nuts is a good mini-meal. Hummus, vegetables and flatbread, or a thin wrap is another light option.
• Brown-bagging a non-perishable food like a whole-grain peanut-butter sandwich with an apple and a bottle of water is a great energizer.

I am going to answer a question with a question...
  • Why are you going to the mall in the first place?
  • Are you going to buy some clothes that make you look and feel your best?
Maybe you have been working out vigorously and eating quite healthy. And now it is time to go get some new clothes that compliment all your sweat and sacrifice. Whatever your reason for going please consider this...

Why woud you want to sabotage all your hard work by eating at the mall food court? I am not being sarcastic but supportive here. So think about it. Why?

If your local food court looks like mine then you have the usual fast food burger chain, a sandwich place that does not use anything that resembles meat, a salad place that makes a mockery of the idea that salads are healthy.

What else? Oh yeah! That place that serves "food" that makes you run for the bathroom instead of the border.

To look and feel your best, you have to make the best decisions and eat the food that best serves your health and fitness lifestyle.

So please consider eating at home before you leave for the mall. Perhaps, considering a mobile snack in your pocket like a portion of almonds, some beef jerky or even granola. If you are at the mall and get hungry; starve a little till you get home or maybe run to the nutrition store most malls have and try to find something healthy and low in sugar. You'll thank me when you put on the new clothes you just bought and they fit AOK!

Oh yeah, one more...my food court has scary, suspicious looking, sushi-guy. Sushi can be healthy but do you think raw fish at the mall is really a quality culinary experience? Me neither.

Continue Learning about Eating Habits and Nutrition

2 Keys to Eating Better
2 Keys to Eating Better
Getting more goodness into your meals could be as easy as these two steps: Plan ahead, and eat at the dinner table. If you’re like many people, you h...
Why is planning an important part of making good food choices?
Planning prevents you from creating a home (or work) environment that’s filled with junk. It makes i...
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
Do you clean your plate, pick the wrong sides and skimp on treats?
What Are Some Healthy Food Substitutions?