How can I incorporate chickpeas into my diet as a snack?

Vandana  R. Sheth
Chickpeas or Garbanzo beans are a wonderful source of plant protein. Here are some of my favorite ways of incorporating chickpeas in my diet:
  • Salad -- add chickpeas to any green salad to add protein and fiber
  • Make it a Chickpea salad -- cooked chickpeas, chopped onions, chopped tomatoes, chopped cucumbers, minced garlic, minced ginger, finely chopped cilantro. Season with salt, cumin powder and chili/paprika according to your taste/preferences.
  • Hummus -- a dip made with pureed chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, salt, lemon juice, paprika and cumin. Enjoy hummus with bellpepper strips, cucumber/carrot sticks, pita chips
  • Roasted Garbanzo beans

Marisa Moore
Chickpeas are so versatile. They are full of protein and fiber which makes them ideal for a bite between meals. Here are my favorite ways to enjoy them as a snack.

Hummus. You can find hummus at the supermarket in the deli section but it’s super easy to make at home. Simply puree chickpeas with lemon juice, a little tahini (sesame paste) and your favorite seasonings. You can enjoy it plain or add roasted garlic for extra flavor. Dip whole grain pita bread or fresh veggies into the hummus to complete the snack.

Roasted chickpeas. Rinse and drain a can of chickpeas. Toss with a little olive oil and your favorite spices like garlic powder, pepper and cumin. Spread into a single layer on a cookie sheet and roast until brown and slightly crisp. Allow them to cool and enjoy your crunchy and healthy snack.

Be sure to add your own flair to create the recipe that you’ll enjoy!

Continue Learning about Eating Habits and Nutrition

Why You Eat: Genetics vs. Environment
Why You Eat: Genetics vs. Environment
It's easy to argue that lifestyle choices and lack of willpower are responsible for weight problems (it's the argument that lean people tend to make)....
Why should I avoid stress eating?
Brooke RandolphBrooke Randolph
Even though there may be an evolutionary reason why we are tempted to eat when stressed, it isn'...
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
Do you clean your plate, pick the wrong sides and skimp on treats?
Why Should I Avoid Giving Into Food Cravings?