How can I make popcorn healthy?

Everyone's favorite movie snack is typically swimming in butter and salt, but it doesn't have to be that way. In this video, celebrity chef and Dr. Oz Show guest Gail Simmons demonstrates how to make a sweet and salty popcorn treat that's  nutritious and delicious.

If you're yearning for a tasty, healthy popcorn snack, check out these tips:
  • Opt for organic popcorn (if you can find it) to avoid genetically modified corn.
  • Prepare the popcorn in an air popper that uses heat, not oil (and we mean NONE! NADA! NYET!), to fluff up the crunchy kernels.
  • Flavor your popcorn with healthful seasonings, such as garlic (helps to reduce the risk of some cancers and control blood pressure), cinnamon (stabilizes blood sugar), hot paprika and red pepper flakes (may ease joint pain), curry (blocks Alzheimer's disease and stomach problems), and fresh basil (it just tastes so good!). Your imagination is the only limit to the fat-fee, sugar-free, health-bestowing flavors you can enjoy with this delicious, healthy snack.

Continue Learning about Eating Habits and Nutrition

Turn Off Cravings and Turn On Your Appetite
The Hunger Games series dished up a movie annually from 2012 to 2015 to satisfy its fans’ craving for yet another dystopian story of girl power (Jenni...
Can I gain weight if I skip meals?
Kate MyersonKate Myerson
Some people do gain weight if they skip meals because they may be more likely to overeat later on. ...
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
Do you clean your plate, pick the wrong sides and skimp on treats?
What Are Your Health Resorts Like?
What Are Your Health Resorts Like?