How do I know if I'm eating because I'm hungry or for another reason?

Laura Katleman-Prue
Food doesn't solve every problem. We've trained ourselves to cope with uncomfortable sensations by eating, only to find that the food made us feel worse than ever. By overfilling our stomachs without addressing our true physical or emotional needs, we're expecting food to give us things it was never designed to provide. It can only numb us momentarily, postponing the inevitable return of an uncomfortable sensation or emotion.

Just for the heck of it, the next time you think you're hungry, ask yourself, "Am I hungry right now? Or is it possible that I'm thirsty, tired, upset, or excited instead?" When you're about to reach for food and it's not time to eat, question whether you're really hungry, or if you're experiencing some feeling of emptiness or discomfort. You'll be amazed at how many times food isn't what you want after all.
Skinny Thinking: Five Revolutionary Steps to Permanently Heal Your Relationship With Food, Weight, and Your Body

READY TO END YOUR FOOD and WEIGHT WORRIES? If so, Skinny Thinking is for you. The only way to create a healthy relationship with food and stop battling with your weight is to change the way you think...

Continue Learning about Eating Habits and Nutrition

Why You Eat: Genetics vs. Environment
Why You Eat: Genetics vs. Environment
It's easy to argue that lifestyle choices and lack of willpower are responsible for weight problems (it's the argument that lean people tend to make)....
How do I get in touch with my body's true hunger signals to eat healthy?
Dominique AdairDominique Adair
In my practice we use hunger scales a lot. Keep a food log for a few days, writing down everything y...
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
Do you clean your plate, pick the wrong sides and skimp on treats?
How Can I Change My Eating Habits If I Am a Compulsive Overeater?