How do I know if I'm eating because I'm hungry or for another reason?

Laura Katleman-Prue
Food doesn't solve every problem. We've trained ourselves to cope with uncomfortable sensations by eating, only to find that the food made us feel worse than ever. By overfilling our stomachs without addressing our true physical or emotional needs, we're expecting food to give us things it was never designed to provide. It can only numb us momentarily, postponing the inevitable return of an uncomfortable sensation or emotion.

Just for the heck of it, the next time you think you're hungry, ask yourself, "Am I hungry right now? Or is it possible that I'm thirsty, tired, upset, or excited instead?" When you're about to reach for food and it's not time to eat, question whether you're really hungry, or if you're experiencing some feeling of emptiness or discomfort. You'll be amazed at how many times food isn't what you want after all.
Skinny Thinking: Five Revolutionary Steps to Permanently Heal Your Relationship With Food, Weight, and Your Body

READY TO END YOUR FOOD and WEIGHT WORRIES? If so, Skinny Thinking is for you. The only way to create a healthy relationship with food and stop battling with your weight is to change the way you think...

Continue Learning about Eating Habits and Nutrition