How does an irregular eating schedule affect my health?

When you eat meals at different times rather than on a regular schedule, your body goes into stress mode. For example, when you eat breakfast at 7 a.m. one morning and 11 a.m. the next, your body becomes confused about where its next meal is coming from. This causes the secretion of the stress hormone cortisol. High levels of cortisol lead to spikes in insulin, which causes inflammation and can increase the risk of many cancers.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com
Cindy Gay
Eating at regular times, beginning with breakfast and approximately 5 hours later for the mid meal and 5 or 6 hours later for the last meal, provides optimum energy levels to feel good and to complete work or activities. This works best when eating protein, carbohydrate and fat at each meal. High-quality protein, like that found in lean meat, dairy and soy, is needed for muscle maintenance. 

Continue Learning about Eating Habits and Nutrition

Why You Eat: Genetics vs. Environment
Why You Eat: Genetics vs. Environment
It's easy to argue that lifestyle choices and lack of willpower are responsible for weight problems (it's the argument that lean people tend to make)....
Can I gain weight if I skip meals?
Kate MyersonKate Myerson
Some people do gain weight if they skip meals because they may be more likely to overeat later on. ...
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
Do you clean your plate, pick the wrong sides and skimp on treats?
What Is a Healthy Recipe for Holiday Cookies?