How can eating with family and friends affect my weight?

Studies show that whenever you eat with other people, you lose track of how much you're eating. For instance, if you eat with just one other person, you're likely to eat about 35% more than you normally would. When you eat with four people, your consumption rate jumps to 75% more. And when eating with a group of seven or more, you eat about 96% more than if you were eating alone.

Important food for thought: The average person eats out with a group about three times a week. This means that if you're not cautious, you can consume 72,000 extra calories over the course of a year, which translates into about 20 pounds of weight gain.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Eating Habits and Nutrition

Munch On Healthy Proteins For Energy All Day
Whether you’re off for a brisk walk or a championship bout, it’s important to eat right so you don’t run out of steam. A study says the best way to do...
How can I eat healthy during the winter?
Leslie Mendoza-Temple, MDLeslie Mendoza-Temple, MD
I have found some pretty good fruit selections (some organic, some not) at Costco, believe it or...
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
Do you clean your plate, pick the wrong sides and skimp on treats?
The Meals Behind The 5-Day Easy Meal System