How can I eat healthy when traveling by air?

Can you guess how many calories are in Delta Airline's Chicken Caesar Wrap? 840! That's quite a calorie-heavy lunch.

Luckily, many airlines provide more healthy alternatives. Air Canada, for example, offers a pasta salad with sundried tomato dressing and chicken strips for just 330 calories, and Virgin Airlines, the airline offering the healthiest options, offers a roasted pear and arugula salad for 360 calories.

If you'd like a bit more control over your choice of food while traveling, consider eating at the airport before your flight. In the terminal, you'll likely be able to find several more healthy options, including sandwiches, salads and soups.

Plan ahead to head off overeating when traveling.
Sari Greaves
Here are some tips on how to eat healthy when traveling by air:
  • Don't go to the airport hungry: Eat a snack before you get to the airport to avoid having to consume any of the airport food, especially since there are usually limited healthy options.
  • Come prepared: Bring a sandwich and some of your own snacks with you on the plane so you don't have to rely on the airport/plane food.
  • Stay hydrated: It is easy to become dehydrated on a plane so keep drinking water. A lot of times we confuse thirst for hunger, so when you think you are hungry, before you call the flight attendant over for an in flight snack, grab a bottle of water first.

Continue Learning about Eating Habits and Nutrition

6 Best Picks and Skips at the Salad Bar
6 Best Picks and Skips at the Salad Bar
Salad bars can be diet salvation or junk-food minefields. Here's how to get from one end to the other without detonating an explosion of bad fats, sod...
Why do I crave ice?
Ximena JimenezXimena Jimenez
Some people may crave ice; this happens especially to pregnant women. This is known as pica and it m...
Why am I always hungry?
Georgianna Donadio, PhD,MS,DCGeorgianna Donadio, PhD,MS,DC
Hunger is a natural response by the body when it has used up the caloric intake from our last meal a...
Eat Cereal for Breakfast, Be Happy All Day