How can I eat healthy when traveling by air?

Sari Greaves
Here are some tips on how to eat healthy when traveling by air:
  • Don't go to the airport hungry: Eat a snack before you get to the airport to avoid having to consume any of the airport food, especially since there are usually limited healthy options.
  • Come prepared: Bring a sandwich and some of your own snacks with you on the plane so you don't have to rely on the airport/plane food.
  • Stay hydrated: It is easy to become dehydrated on a plane so keep drinking water. A lot of times we confuse thirst for hunger, so when you think you are hungry, before you call the flight attendant over for an in flight snack, grab a bottle of water first.
Can you guess how many calories are in Delta Airline's Chicken Caesar Wrap? 840! That's quite a calorie-heavy lunch.

Luckily, many airlines provide more healthy alternatives. Air Canada, for example, offers a pasta salad with sundried tomato dressing and chicken strips for just 330 calories, and Virgin Airlines, the airline offering the healthiest options, offers a roasted pear and arugula salad for 360 calories.

If you'd like a bit more control over your choice of food while traveling, consider eating at the airport before your flight. In the terminal, you'll likely be able to find several more healthy options, including sandwiches, salads and soups.

Plan ahead to head off overeating when traveling.

Continue Learning about Eating Habits and Nutrition

Simple Ways to Eat Healthy When You’re Busy
The Mars-exploring spacecraft InSight made a 300 million-mile journey that was artfully guided by scientists at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Lab in Pasadena,...
How can being in a relationship affect my eating habits?
Dr. Ramani Durvasula, PhDDr. Ramani Durvasula, PhD
I often speculate on how relationships contribute to weight gain. As someone who was once married, a...
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
Do you clean your plate, pick the wrong sides and skimp on treats?
How Artificial Sweeteners May be Causing Weight Gain