How do I stimulate my appetite?

People lose their appetites for many reasons, including stress, illness or medication side effects. If you find you are rarely hungry, consider ways to healthfully stimulate your appetite:
  • Add color, texture and aroma to your meals to make them more appealing. Easy additions include brightly colored crunchy vegetables.
  • Eat with friends and family. Sometimes the fun of dining with others can boost your appetite.
  • Fill your house with enticing smells such as fresh baked goods.
  • Keep your favorite healthful foods on hand. Sometimes convenience can aid you in eating more.
  • Engage in physical activity just before you eat. Even a short walk can increase your appetite.
  • If stress is a problem for you, try to keep conversations during meals pleasant.
If you remain concerned about your lack of appetite, contact a registered dietitian for additional advice.

Continue Learning about Eating Habits and Nutrition

Sugary Drinks Plus Fatty Protein Make for a Bad Combo
Conflicts between pro-athlete teammates is nothing new: Lakers’ Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O’Neal played for nine tension-ridden years until their anim...
Why should I pay attention to how I am eating?
Natalie Castro-Romero, MS, RDNatalie Castro-Romero, MS, RD
When you pay attention to how much you are eating, you tend to eat less. Activities like watching TV...
What the Heck Should You Eat? 5 Takeaways From Dr. Hyman’s New Book, 'FOOD'
What the Heck Should You Eat? 5 Takeaways From Dr. Hyman’s New Book, 'FOOD'What the Heck Should You Eat? 5 Takeaways From Dr. Hyman’s New Book, 'FOOD'What the Heck Should You Eat? 5 Takeaways From Dr. Hyman’s New Book, 'FOOD'What the Heck Should You Eat? 5 Takeaways From Dr. Hyman’s New Book, 'FOOD'
Eating right is complicated—but it doesn't have to be.
Obesity and the Decline of Healthy Eating