How can I control calories when I eat out?

Keri Gans
Here are some tips for controlling calories and fat when you eat out:
  • Skip the bread.
  • Start with a salad.
  • Read the menu carefully, looking for dishes prepared “broiled,” “grilled,” “steamed,” and “sautéed,” rather than “fried,” “crispy,” or “creamy.”
  • Don’t be afraid to ask questions about how a dish is prepared.
  • Order all sauces and dressings—including salad dressing—on the side.
  • Request a veggie instead of fries or other high-calorie sides (pay extra if you have to).
  • More often than not, opt for broiled fish or roasted, broiled, or grilled chicken without skin.
  • If you know the restaurant serves large portions, split an entrée with a friend or have two appetizers instead of an entrée.
  • If you’re served a huge portion, eat half and take the other half home in a doggie bag for the next day.
  • If you want dessert, split one with others in your party (the more forks, the better!).
The Small Change Diet: 10 Steps to a Thinner, Healthier You

THE ONLY “DIET” PLAN YOU WILL EVER NEED! No deprivation, no struggles. Just ten small changes that will transform your life. Keri Gans, spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association, shares...
Toby Smithson

Before heading out to the restaurant, check the restaurant’s website for the nutrient information so you have a better idea of how to monitor your caloric intake. Partake in the foods you really enjoy and pass on the foods that aren’t on your list of favorites. For example, if you are not a bread eater, pass on the bread basket to save calories for your favorite foods. Ask your wait staff for a doggy bag, some people find it helpful to have the kitchen divide their meal back in the kitchen and place it in a doggy bag even before the meal is served to you at your table. To boost up the vegetable intake, order a salad with the dressing on the side or an extra side order of steamed vegetables. Increasing your vegetable intake will fill you up without adding a lot of calories to your meal.

Continue Learning about Eating Habits and Nutrition

Turn Off Cravings and Turn On Your Appetite
The Hunger Games series dished up a movie annually from 2012 to 2015 to satisfy its fans’ craving for yet another dystopian story of girl power (Jenni...
How can preparing my own meals help me eat healthy?
Vandana  R. ShethVandana R. Sheth
When you prepare your own meals you are in complete control over the ingredients, preparation method...
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
Do you clean your plate, pick the wrong sides and skimp on treats?
What Are Some Healthy Alternatives for Sweets During the Holidays?