How can I choose a healthier snack chip?

Most food experts feel that unless a particular food treat or craving causes you to indulge uncontrollably, you can include treats in your diet. But it’s a good idea to find healthier versions of some of those treats and save truly decadent foods for special occasions.

When buying chips, single serving bags are a good idea, because that already helps with portion control. Try to choose chips that have no more than 140 calories per single serve bag. Total fat should be 6 grams or less, with 1 gram or less of saturated fat and zero trans fat. The amount of sodium (salt) should be no more than 120 mg per serving. Also, look for chips that have at least 2 or 3 grams of fiber per serving, which means there are whole grains in the product. Even with healthier choices, remember to watch portion control.

Continue Learning about Eating Habits and Nutrition

Do Detoxes Really Work?
Do Detoxes Really Work?
With all that you read about “detoxes” and “cleanses," you’d think there must be a medical need to help rid your body of harmful toxins. But you’d be ...
Why are food cravings so hard to predict and resist?
Chris PowellChris Powell
Food cravings are hard to predict and resist if you don't know how the mechanisms in your body work....
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
Do you clean your plate, pick the wrong sides and skimp on treats?
How Can I Overcome Food Cravings If I'm Trying to Lose Weight?