How can a fear of hunger cause me to become unhealthy?

Laura Katleman-Prue
Hunger avoidance is built into many cultures. In Judaism, people wish each other well by praying that their children never know hunger. In most societies, ascending the socioeconomic ladder and landing in the cushy land of wealth and prosperity means never having to worry about hunger. The ironic thing is that by shunning hunger, many people have ended up compromising their health. Sellers of fad diets reinforce this hunger phobia by stirring it up and then reassuring us that their diet tames the hunger beast. "Have no fear," they boast, "on this diet you will never feel hungry."

Conditioned to be afraid of hunger, we avoid it at all costs, exaggerating its discomfort way beyond the reality of the experience. As a result, many of us never let our stomachs get empty. Checking in with our stomachs several times a day, we act quickly to fill the slightest void.
Skinny Thinking: Five Revolutionary Steps to Permanently Heal Your Relationship With Food, Weight, and Your Body

READY TO END YOUR FOOD and WEIGHT WORRIES? If so, Skinny Thinking is for you. The only way to create a healthy relationship with food and stop battling with your weight is to change the way you think...

Continue Learning about Eating Habits and Nutrition

Need a Healthy Snack? Think Foods High in Protein
If just the thought of starting another diet leaves you hungrier than a teenager at soccer camp, we've got two words for you: protein snacks. Yes, plu...
Why should I avoid eating when I am too hungry?
Laura Katleman-PrueLaura Katleman-Prue
To maintain a natural, healthy weight, we need to learn to tolerate some hunger before we eat a ...
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
Do you clean your plate, pick the wrong sides and skimp on treats?
Control Food Cravings With Your Imagination