How can I eat less?

Sharon Richter, RD
Here are a few tips on how to eat less:
  • Use smaller utensils, plates and bowls.
  • Have a glass of water before a meal and between bites.
  • Before you eat, ask yourself, "Am I really hungry or bored, lonely, feeding an emotion?"
  • Cut your portions in half. Once done, give yourself 20 minutes to see if that was enough before finishing.
Here are some tricks that Dan Buettner, author of The Blue Zones, says can help you eat less and stop eating at the right time:
  • Get new glasses. Choose tall and narrow over short and wide drinking glasses. You'll drink 25% to 30% less. Go smaller with plates and bowls as well.
  • Leave food in the kitchen. People who serve themselves at the counter and then walk away eat about 14% less.
  • Supersize with your eyes. Eat less and feel fuller by making your food look bigger. Make hamburger patties half the normal amount and pile on the lettuce, tomatoes, and onions to make your burger appear sizeable.
  • Sit down to eat. Do away with eating on the go, in the car, or while watching TV. Sit down and really pay attention to your food; you'll eat less and feel more satisfied.
  • Weigh in daily. It sounds painful, but stepping on the bathroom scale every day may help you stay on track.

Continue Learning about Eating Habits and Nutrition

6 Best Picks and Skips at the Salad Bar
6 Best Picks and Skips at the Salad Bar
Salad bars can be diet salvation or junk-food minefields. Here's how to get from one end to the other without detonating an explosion of bad fats, sod...
How can I eat healthy during the winter?
Margaret FloydMargaret Floyd
In the winter, when locally grown produce simply isn't an option, there are several things you c...
Why do I feel sleepy after eating?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
Are you eating food with less nutritional value and more empty calories? When we eat food with l...
What Are Some Healthy Food Substitutions?