How can I break my habit of eating while watching TV?

Tori  Holthaus, MS, RD
I recently heard it takes 21 days to break a habit, so for the next 3 weeks find an alternative activity to do while watching TV instead of eating. Grab a glass of water (infuse it with fruit or herbs for added nutrition), have a mug of hot tea, paint your fingernails/toenails or do a drawing to keep your hands busy, or get down on the floor for some strength training or stretching.  One of my favorite things to do while watching TV is to complete 5 different exercises for 5 different words a TV character might say throughout the entire show.  Each time the character says the word, I do the exercise assigned to that word! Think: 15 crunches for "music," 10 leg lifts for "song," 5 pushups for "artist," etc. for a show about singing! Fun!
Edward Phillips
Physical Therapy
Declare the TV room off limits for food every day. Or work up to that policy by starting with one day per week. Then add another day during each subsequent week. If your kitchen has a TV, switch it off during meals and snacks. When you're hungry, it's much better to sit down at the table with no distractions other than your dining companions. Better still, if the urge to eat comes on while watching a TV show, see if five to 10 minutes of calorie-burning exercise works as a healthy distraction.

Continue Learning about Eating Habits and Nutrition

Eat Here to Eat Less
Eat Here to Eat Less
When it comes to losing weight, it's not just about what you eat. It's also about where you eat. And nutrition experts think that if you chow down in...
Is there a healthy way to splurge on food?
Bob HarperBob Harper
If you are eating a healthy diet 80-90% of the time during an average week, then you should be able ...
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
Do you clean your plate, pick the wrong sides and skimp on treats?
How to Prep for The 5-Day Easy Meal System