How does sleep affect snacking in teens?

This study showed a relationship between sleep duration and snacking in teens:
  • For each 1-hour increase in sleep duration, the odds of consuming a high amount of calories from snacks decreased by an average of 21%.
  • A significantly greater proportion of teens who slept less than 8 hours per weeknight consumed food in the early morning between 5 a.m. and 7 a.m.
  • Specifically, the researchers found that -- after adjusting for factors like age, sex, and race -- teens who slept less than 8 hours on weeknights consumed 2.2% more calories from fats and 3.0% fewer calories from carbs than teens who slept 8 hours or more.

Continue Learning about Eating Habits and Nutrition

Simple Ways to Eat Healthy When You’re Busy
The Mars-exploring spacecraft InSight made a 300 million-mile journey that was artfully guided by scientists at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Lab in Pasadena,...
Is it okay to find pleasure in eating?
Dominique AdairDominique Adair
Certainly! In fact, while we eat for so many different reasons, research shows that taste/pleasure i...
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
Do you clean your plate, pick the wrong sides and skimp on treats?
How Do I Know If I Have Had Enough to Eat?