According to the Dietary Guidelines 2010, what foods should we eat daily?

The Dietary guidelines include the following:
  • Increase your fruit and vegetable consumption
  • Eat a variety of different colored fruits and vegetables
  • Try to aim for half of the grains you eat daily as “whole grains” and measure portion sizes
  • Choose mostly fat free dairy products and fat free milk
  • Choose a variety of the following proteins: fish, eggs, beans, legumes, nuts, seeds and infrequently, very lean cuts of red meat
  • Increase consumption of seafood and specifically look for “oily “ fish• Use healthy oils to replace solid fats when possible
• Increase consumption of foods that are high in potassium, dietary fiber, calcium and vitamin D
• Women should pay particular attention to foods rich in iron, and foods that enhance iron absorption (rich in vitamin C).  Women should consume 400 mcgs of synthetic folic acid daily and foods rich in folate
• Pregnant women and women who breastfeed should consume 8-12 ounces of low mercury, oily seafood weekly and take an iron supplement.
Marisa Moore
The dietary guidelines don’t recommend a specific list of foods to eat daily. Instead, the guidelines recommend that you eat a variety of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, lean protein (especially seafood), healthy fats (like nuts and avocado) and low fat dairy every day.

There's a major emphasis on getting a variety of colorful fruits and vegetables especially dark leafy greens that Americans tend to miss out on. Within the guidelines there's plenty of room for experimentation from brown and wild rice to quinoa and yogurt to soy milk.

Continue Learning about Eating Habits and Nutrition

Simple Ways to Eat Healthy When You’re Busy
The Mars-exploring spacecraft InSight made a 300 million-mile journey that was artfully guided by scientists at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Lab in Pasadena,...
How can I overcome my sugar cravings?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
In recognition of the health benefits of reducing sugar intake, here are some tips that can help cur...
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
Do you clean your plate, pick the wrong sides and skimp on treats?
How Can I Change My Eating Habits If I Am a Compulsive Overeater?