Can predictability in food lead to boredom?

Judy Caplan
We all get tired of eating the same foods over and over again. The trick is to have enough variety in your repertoire. Most of us eat the same eight dishes most of the time. Find variations on the theme! If you like quesadillas change it up by using shrimp instead of chicken or grilled veggies for some of the cheese. The key is to make the foods you eat all the time healthy. Whole grains over refined flour. Avoid refined sugars and fried foods. Eat less animal protein and more legumes, seeds, and nuts. Add veggies whenever you can to dishes and soups. There are so many varieties. Make it a point to try a new vegetable at least once a month. In one year that can add loads of variety. Look for new recipes using your favorite foods.
In short, yes, predictability in your meals will lead to bordeom. This will have a cascade effect that will derail your health and fitness goals. If you plan to have meals that contain the same ingredients all the time you will not look foward to the meals or even resent them. When you take enjoyment out of the eqaution you are less likely to stick to a sensible food plan and more likely to bust out the take out menus. When deciding to make a healthy lifestyle change you will have to put a little time in learning what foods work in congruence with your desired outcome (weight loss, strength gain, endurance, etc).

The first time you go food shopping your cart may be filled with alot of different items than you are used to purchasing and I am sure some of the choices are very obvious to you. Purchase lots of different veggies, lean meats, healthy grains that contain fiber, and no beverages that add calories and sugar to your diet. Think outside the pocket and pick up items you have never tried before.

You don't have to be a culinary genius to make healthy food satisfying and UNPREDICTABLE. Look out for healthy recipes that contain portion sizes and caloric information. I always enjoy finding recipes online or in magazines and cookbooks that offer newer healthier versions of older unhealthy recipes. For example, you maybe surprised how Mexican cuisine prepared properly lends itself to new lifestyle choices. I often enjoy a healthy version of enchiladas, refried beans and even tacos (please contact me if you are interested in these recipes). Another great example of endless combinations is the frittata, a fancy way of saying omelette. You can pretty much add anything to a fritatta/omelette and it will taste good. Just watch how many calories you add. Some of the items I add in different combinations are spinach, broccoli or my homemade salsa and refried beans.

Just as you will learn about cardiorespiratory and resistance training, you will also have to learn about healthy food choices and recipes you can cook that will help keep you enjoying the road to success. With enjoyment, comes adherence, with adherence comes results.

ENJOY!

Continue Learning about Eating Habits and Nutrition