Can I gain weight if I skip meals?

Kate Myerson
Some people do gain weight if they skip meals because they may be more likely to overeat later on.

However if you are trying to gain weight, small, frequent and dense meals and snacks will help to gain weight. To gain weight, choose foods that are high in calorie and low in volume so not to fill up too quickly. Examples include peanut butter and other nuts, avocado, granola etc.
If you are trying to gain weight, try not to skip meals. You can still gain weight by simply eating more calories than you burn for the entire day.

On the other hand, if you are attempting weight loss or simply desire to maintain your weight, many health professionals believe skipping meals regularly gives you the opposite effect -- you have a greater chance of gaining weight. While this may be true for some, it may not be for others but consistency is the key when it comes to weight control whether you are trying to lose or gain weight. The key to success in both areas is to know the total daily calories that allow you to reach your goal. Divide them into 4-5 small meals and spread your meals evenly throughout the day to keep your energy levels high and stave off hunger.

Continue Learning about Eating Habits and Nutrition

The Bitter Truth About Sugar
The Bitter Truth About Sugar
What weighs in at 66 pounds (per year—every year—per person) in America? Sugar! That’s how much you’re taking in from high fructose corn syrup, cane s...
Why should I eat frequent meals throughout the day?
Manuel VillacortaManuel Villacorta
When you eat frequently throughout the day, you control dopamine and serotonin, which gives you a se...
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
Do you clean your plate, pick the wrong sides and skimp on treats?
Why Should I Avoid Giving Into Food Cravings?