How can emotional triggers cause overeating?

Eliza Kingsford, LPC
We don’t always have a sense of what is behind our emotional triggers. For some, this becomes very problematic and they will look to food for comfort or as a coping mechanism to help deal with the emotions that they do not understand. Some will reach for food to “numb” the feelings so that they do not experience the hurt. Some will reach for food to actively comfort the unwanted feelings. Either way, the use of food as a coping mechanism becomes a way to deal with the undesirable emotions.
At a very young age, our intake of food and our emotions start becoming intertwined. How many small children are given ice cream as comfort when they are crying or a cupcake because they were “good” and deserve a reward? Then, when you get older and you are feeling sad, stressed or angry, would it not make sense that you would reach for these same foods? They are familiar to you; the problem is that you might actually use these foods to cover up your actual feelings. Instead of focusing on what is bothering you, you hide behind a couple of cookies and then some.

A technique I like to use with my patients that is very appropriate here is HALT: Ask yourself, am I Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired? Determining what is really going on in your mind will help you to determine if food is really what you want. Learning new skills on how to deal with these emotions without using food can be really rewarding.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Eating Disorders Causes & Risk Factors

What causes sleep-related eating disorder?
Sleep-related eating disorder (SRED) is a quite a mystery and the cause elusive. Many people with SR...
How did eating disorders first develop?
Eating disorders probably developed as a survival mechanism; in times of famine, the group would nee...
Are eating disorders more common in men or in women?
Eating disorders are more common in women than in men. Women are 10 times more likely to have an eat...
Can excessive juice cleansing lead to an eating disorder?
Brenda K. Wade, PhDBrenda K. Wade, PhD
Excessive juice cleansing can indeed lead to an eating disorder, in that the behavior mimics the cla...