As a teen, what is the treatment for an eating disorder?

Vicki Berkus, MD
Psychiatry
This treatment will depend on the severity of the disorder. The patient needs to be assessed to determine if the teen will need in-patient care (weighs less than 15% normal body weight, is actively purging several times per day, is using exercise or laxatives in an obsessive manner causing laboratory abnormalities, dizziness, fainting, no menstrual periods, feels out of control). There is also a day program or IOP (intense out-patient program). The good news is that if the disorder has been around only a short time, there is a much better prognosis.

Continue Learning about Eating Disorder Treatment

How do medications treat eating disorders?
Depression, anxiety or obsessive compulsive disorder can lead to an eating disorder. Medications to ...
What are affordable treatments for eating disorders?
Mental Fitness, Inc.Mental Fitness, Inc.
Treatment for eating disorders can be lifesaving -- but expensive enough to seem out of reach. In th...
As a Teen, How Can I Help My Friend with an Eating Disorder?
Affordable Treatment Options for Eating Disorders