What is Meatless Monday?

Kathy Freston
The Meatless Monday campaign is a project of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and the Columbia University School of Public Health, in association with twenty-seven other public health schools. The campaign is focused on convincing the world not to eat chickens, pigs, and other animals -- just one day per week (on Mondays, as you may have guessed).

Since it's sponsored by a slew of public health schools, the campaign was set up to promote health, and since I've already written extensively about the fact that eating meat leads to heart disease, cancer, diabetes, obesity, and lethargy,  I'll skip extended analysis of these facts, other than to say: When Johns Hopkins, Columbia, the American Dietetic Association, and dozens of other health organizations argue that the less meat you eat, the better off you'll be, it's worth listening to them.

Continue Learning about Eating and Society

Reality Bites in Kids’ Fast Food Meals
Reality Bites in Kids’ Fast Food Meals
When Eddie (John C. Reilly) from the animated hit film Sing croons, “Can I get a Happy Meal with big nuggets?” and Johnny (Taron Egerton) the gorilla ...
What are some major trends in 20th century U.S. food consumption?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
During the twentieth century, food consumption patterns changed dramatically. Total dietary fat inta...
What are some health concerns to be aware of when I eat at a food court?
Peter DeLuciaPeter DeLucia
Some health concerns to be aware of at a food court include the cleanliness of the dining tables, tr...
Is There a Connection Between Eating Junk Food and Watching TV?