What are some healthy choices at Japanese restaurants?

Marisa Moore

Japanese cuisine offers many healthy options. Rice, fish and vegetables are the core foods and are featured at almost every meal. Portions are typically small and beautifully presented.  

Keep these tips in mind next time you go out for Japanese food:

• Always order a variety of steamed vegetables for the table.
  • Try a traditional salad of sea vegetables.
  • Choose grilled shrimp or fish prepared with light ginger broth or dishes like yosenabe (seafood and vegetables in broth).
  • When it comes to meat, choose broiled or grilled chicken or beef teriyaki, sukiyaki or yakitori.
  • Request that high sodium sauces be served on the side.
  • Use soy sauce sparingly.
  • Skip the deep fried foods like shrimp tempura or tonkatsu (fried pork cutlet).

Continue Learning about Eating and Society

Eat Clean Organic Foods for Better Health
Does the news that every year 16 million pounds of antibiotics are fed to chickens, pigs, cows and fish that end up on your plate have you worried? If...
What does the phrase “eat food, not too much, mostly plants” mean?
Dr. David L. Katz, MD, MPHDr. David L. Katz, MD, MPH
Michael Pollan, a nutrition writer and activist for food-related policy change, has emerged as s...
What are some health concerns to be aware of when I eat at a food court?
Peter DeLuciaPeter DeLucia
Some health concerns to be aware of at a food court include the cleanliness of the dining tables, tr...
How Can I Tell If I'm a Passionate Eater?