What are some healthy choices at Chinese restaurants?

Marisa Moore
Chinese food is very popular in the United States but may differ from what you would get in China. Chinese restaurants offer some very healthy options.

To cut back on the sodium, choose restaurants that don’t use monosodium glutamate (MSG) and order dishes prepared without soy sauce and don’t add any at the table. Be mindful of portion sizes as they are usually very large. One way to make the best of this is to order fewer entrees than you have people at the table. This way - you get to taste different dishes and won’t overdo it calorie-wise.

Be mindful that dishes like sesame chicken and sweet & sour pork are high in fat and calories. Avoid these and opt for some of these healthier options:
  • Wonton or hot and sour soup
  • Steamed vegetarian dumplings instead of fried egg rolls
  • Broiled, steamed or lightly stir fried vegetable, poultry or meat dishes
  • Vegetable main and side dishes
  • Steamed brown rice (instead of fried rice)
Trying out new cuisines can be a fun way to get to know different cultures. Take this list with you to ensure you stick to your health goals along the way.

Chinese cuisine is delicious, but restaurant dishes can be packed with calories. Fortunately, you can get loads of flavor without busting your diet if you pick the right dish. On this video, weight-loss expert Jim Karas tells Dr. Oz how to order -- and why you should think twice before asking for brown rice.

Frances Largeman-Roth, RD
Plenty of Chinese dishes are packed with fat and calories, but there are ways to sidestep nutrition disaster. In this video, registered dietician Frances Largeman-Roth offers easy ways to enjoy healthier Chinese fare.

Continue Learning about Eating and Society

New Health Mantra: Let’s Eat In Tonight!
A Harvard University study reveals that making meals at home has a benefit that could help tens of millions sidestep a serious health threat. Eating d...
What are some major trends in 20th century U.S. food consumption?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
During the twentieth century, food consumption patterns changed dramatically. Total dietary fat inta...
What are exotic foods?
Judy CaplanJudy Caplan
Exotic foods are generally foods that are not native to your country. Exotic foods are not foods tha...
How Can I Tell If I'm a Habitual Eater?
How Can I Tell If I'm a Habitual Eater?