How can I eat healthy at ethnic restaurants if I want to lose weight?

Dr. Andrea Pennington, MD
Integrative Medicine
In an Italian restaurant, ask for oil and vinegar on the side to dress your own salad. Order pasta with red sauce, such as marinara instead of creamy white or butter sauces like Alfredo. Choose chicken or fish dishes instead of sausage dishes. In a Chinese restaurant choose steamed brown rice instead of fried rice, steamed dumplings instead of fried, and vegetarian entrées that include a number of different vegetables. In a Japanese restaurant pass up tempura in any form because fried food should be avoided. In a Mexican restaurant choose salsa instead of guacamole, sour cream or cheese dips. Choose dishes made with plain, soft tortillas that aren't fried, such as burritos, soft tacos and enchiladas. Have black bean soup as a first course.

Continue Learning about Eating and Society

Mind(ful) Your Peas and Cukes
Mind(ful) Your Peas and Cukes
If you’re like most Americans, you’ve probably eaten a belly-full of food already today! In the past three decades, U.S. adults have gone from eating ...
How can lighting and music affect my eating habits?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
You may love the atmosphere in a fancy restaurant, but who has the time to worry about lighting and ...
How can I eat the local cuisine in a foreign country without getting sick?
Tempted to indulge in the local cuisine? Food can be the best or the worst part of your internationa...
What Is Weight Discrimination?
What Is Weight Discrimination?