How are diet and climate change connected?

The connection between diet and climate change is that diet affects the greenhouse gases. Healthy eating affects sustainability and the environment.

Diet affects freshwater use. In fact, 3 percent of the planet has fresh water, the rest is saltwater in the oceans. And of that 3 percent fresh water, about 70 percent goes to growing food. Diet also affects land use, from raising animals to growing palm oil and other substances.

Continue Learning about Eating and Society

Eating on the Run Adds Calories
Eating on the Run Adds Calories
When you see a photo of Gisele Bündchen gobbling a slice of pizza before hitting the catwalk or Will Smith spooning lunch into his mouth as he walks d...
Does mercury in fish cause health problems?
Phillip J. Landrigan, MDPhillip J. Landrigan, MD
While several servings of fish a week can be part of a healthy diet, it is important to ensure that ...
How can my friends influence my eating habits?
Dr. David L. Katz, MD, MPHDr. David L. Katz, MD, MPH
There were two recent studies about the influence what and when and how we eat has on one anothe...
Why It's Time to Quit the Clean Plate Club