Have our bodies adapted to our diet?

The modern diet of mass-produced food, fast food, and high sugars is relatively new. Our ancestors only had access to honey, eating only 2 kg of sugar per year; in 1815 England the average consumption of sugar was 8 kg per person. Mass production of fructose became economical in the 1970s, and by the year 2000, the average consumption of sugar per person was 69.1 kg per year.

The human body is remarkably good at storing excess nutrients in the form of fat. The rapid change in diet has not allowed our bodies time to adapt. Hence, the very high rates of obesity, diabetes, and cardiac disease. Adapting to anything usually occurs over multiple generations through natural selection.

Continue Learning about Eating and Society

Are You A Smart Foodie?
Are You A Smart Foodie?
The 2014 documentary, Foodie: The Culinary Jet Set, followed a collection of food fanatics as they indulged their quest for the perfect morsel by dini...
How can my friends influence my eating habits?
Dr. David L. Katz, MD, MPHDr. David L. Katz, MD, MPH
There were two recent studies about the influence what and when and how we eat has on one anothe...
What's one of the dirtiest things a restaurant serves?
Restaurant lemons are often as dirty as the floor.Most restaurants never wash their lemons. They sta...
How Can I Tell If I'm a Habitual Eater?
How Can I Tell If I'm a Habitual Eater?