What is the difference between Japanese and American eating habits?

In the US, we like to pile our food on big plates and feel like we have a plentiful meal ahead of us. In Japan, the opposite is true. The Japanese serve their food in small, separate plates and dishes arranged in a way that is spare and pleasing to the eye. That way part of the satisfaction you get from the meal is from how it looks, not just how much you eat. By moving slowly from dish to dish, eating mindfully and pacing yourself, it will be easier to follow the wise Japanese admonition: “eat until you’re 80% full.”

Continue Learning about Eating and Society

3 Tips to Reduce Food Waste
3 Tips to Reduce Food Waste
“Just Eat It” is an award-winning 2015 documentary exploring shameful throw-away food habits. Seems most folks are wary of less-than-perfect produce, ...
How can lighting and music affect my eating habits?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
You may love the atmosphere in a fancy restaurant, but who has the time to worry about lighting and ...
Is food my friend or enemy?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Food touches every aspect of our lives. Our physical health depends on it; we cannot grow, heal, or ...
How Can I Tell If I'm a Habitual Eater?
How Can I Tell If I'm a Habitual Eater?