What is the Wahls diet?

The Wahls protocol (diet) was developed by Terry Wahls, MD, who was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis (MS) in 2000. Ultimately, this protocol is a new way of eating based on Paleo principles, but organized to maximize these nutrients that are important to the brain. Dr. Wahls tracks 36 vitamins, minerals, essential fats and antioxidants in the diet.

The Wahls diet basically means adding more leafy green vegetables to your diet: sulfur­rich vegetables like cabbage, mushrooms and the onion family; deeply pigmented foods like carrots, beets and berries; grass-fed meats; wild fish and seaweed. The Wahls diet avoids wheat, grains, legumes and dairy.

As people progress in the diet, they transition from their existing way of eating to a more nutrient­dense and low­glycemic way of eating that Wahls proposes is better for their brain health.

Continue Learning about Eating & Nutrition For Diseases

How Fish and Veggies Fight 5 Cancers
How Fish and Veggies Fight 5 Cancers
Does your food have legs, fins or roots? The answer affects your risk of up to five kinds of cancer. And fins and roots have the edge. In a study, ve...
Should I change my diet after a heart stent?
Linda MartinezLinda Martinez
The type of diet someone with the disease called atherosclerosis should be on is a low-fat diet. Ath...
What are the best disease-fighting foods?
Many Americans are plagued with high cholesterol and high blood pressure. Watch this video as Dr...
Fight Chronic Disease With a Hunter-Gatherer Mentality