What is a health claim?

Mary Mullen
A health claim describes the potential health benefits of a food, nutrient, or food substance to reduce the risk of a chronic disease or condition, such as cancer, coronary heart disease, or hypertension. Listing this information is optional, and many foods that meet the criteria don’t carry the health claim on their labels. All health claims must be supported by scientific evidence and are strictly regulated by the FDA. Examples of health claims that have FDA approval to appear on food labels include:
  • Calcium and osteoporosis
  • Sodium and hypertension
  • Dietary fat and cancer
  • Saturated fat and cholesterol and the risk of coronary heart disease
  • Fiber-containing grain products, fruits, and vegetables and cancer
Healthy Eating, Healthy Weight for Kids and Teens

In a world of fast food, supersized sodas, and televised temptations, this guide shows how to buck the obesity trend currently in the national spotlight—and have fun doing it. Using a family...

Continue Learning about Eating & Nutrition For Diseases

A Guide to Diabetes-Friendly Movie Snacks
Movies and snacks go really well together. Unfortunately, candy, soda, movie theater popcorn, and most of the other snacks on sale at the concession s...
How can I deal with emotional eating if I have diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Eating when you have diabetes can be tricky. Some people tie emotions to eating. You might eat b...
If I have diabetes, what should I think about when planning meals?
An exchange list is one of several approaches for diabetes meal planning. Foods are categorized into...
What Changes Should I Make to My Diet to Reduce Inflammation?