What healthy dairy products should I eat if I have diabetes?

Dr. David L. Katz, MD, MPH
Preventive Medicine
If you are at high risk for diabetes - or if you already have it - unprocessed dairy foods without added sugar can be eaten in moderation. In this video, preventive medicine expert David Katz, MD, explains how to include dairy in a healthy diet.
The following are healthy dairy products for people with diabetes:

• Choose lower-fat dairy products.
  • If you're using whole milk, try 2% milk for a few weeks. Then try switching to 1% milk. It usually takes about three weeks to adjust to the change.
  • Lower-fat cheeses work fine in most recipes, and they taste great on a sandwich, salad, or in a burrito.
  • Try low-fat frozen yogurt or light ice cream instead of full-fat ice cream.
Amy Campbell
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism

If you drink or use milk, go for nonfat (skim) or low fat (1%) milk. Whole milk and reduced-fat (2%) milk contain too much saturated fat. Yogurt can be a healthy food, but some yogurts are high in fat and added sugar. If eating plain yogurt isn't appealing, choose light-style, nonfat yogurt for the biggest savings in calories, fat and carb. Light-style yogurts are sweetened with a combination of fruit and non-nutritive sweeteners, such as aspartame and sucralose. Another good yogurt option is Greek-style yogurt, which is higher in protein (and lower in carbs) than more traditional yogurt. Always check the label, though, for serving size and total carbohydrate grams (one carb choice = 15 grams of carb). And as often as you can, choose a yogurt that contains live, active cultures (it will say so on the container). This means that the yogurt contains probiotics, beneficial bacteria that can provide a number of health benefits.

Continue Learning about Eating & Nutrition For Diseases

How Your Diet Could Affect Your Thyroid
How Your Diet Could Affect Your Thyroid
If you’ve been diagnosed with an underactive thyroid, or hypothyroidism, you may have heard that what you eat could affect your condition, or that cer...
How do sugar alcohols affect diabetes management?
Kate MyersonKate Myerson
Sugar alcohols are often put in products marketed towards people with diabetes stating they are suga...
Why count carbohydrates if I use insulin and seek tight control?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Counting carbohydrates gives you maximum variety in your eating plan. It is based on calculating you...
Fight Chronic Disease With a Hunter-Gatherer Mentality